SMLN uses the term Clear Writing. You may also hear the term “Plain Language” or “Clear Language”. SMLN uses Clear Writing to include all aspects of writing – from language, to format, to style.
Clear Writing is about the way you communicate in writing. It’s about the
- language you use
- format of your document
- design of your document
Clear Writing helps you say what you mean, simply and clearly. The purpose of Clear Writing is to speak to your audience. It does not “dumb-down” your document. It considers the people who will be reading your document. Clear Writing helps us get the information across quickly and efficiently in any medium.
Clear Writing helps
- save time and money
- make your product or service information easier to read and understand
- ensure accessibility – vital information is understood by all
- your organization meet the standards of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA)
- reduce training and down-time costs while increasing productivity and safety
Simcoe/Muskoka Literacy Network is your local Clear Writing specialist. We offer a variety of services that will help make your messages clear and easy to understand.
- review documents and make recommendations
- consult on development of documents at various stages (e.g. prior to development, mid-way, upon draft completion)
- review and re-write documents
Clear Writing Workshops
- provide workshops to staff about the principles of clear writing
- design workshops for specific audiences
- analyze documents, signage, display boards etc. of an organization
- provide written report on findings with recommendations
Quick Screen Consultation for non-profit agencies
- review documents (maximum of 2 pages) and provide expert clear language advice
- maximum free consultation is one hour
For more information or to book a Clear Writing Service, please call 705-326-7227 or 1-888-518-4788.