Through innovation and collaboration, our mission is to guide and support the community to achieve work, learning and life goals.
Who We Are
The Simcoe/Muskoka Literacy Network (SMLN) is one of 16 regional learning networks established throughout Ontario and funded by the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development (MAESD). SMLN serves Simcoe County, except for the areas of the Georgian Triangle and Bradford, and all of Muskoka.
SMLN supports the staff, volunteers, and, indirectly, students at 20 different Literacy and Basic Skills (LBS) programs in our geographical region. The programs offer skills upgrading in reading, writing, document use, numeracy, computer literacy, critical thinking, problem-solving and other essential everyday and employability skills.
SMLN funded services
- work with Literacy and Basic Skills agencies to develop a community plan that provides flexible upgrading programming for adults in the region
- provide support, training and resources to agency staff, volunteers and adult learners
- provide information and referral services about literacy and upgrading programs in the region
- act as communication hub to agencies and the public for information about government and other literacy initiatives
- provide public education to community agencies, employers and the general public about literacy awareness and services in the region
- participate in and manage literacy research and development projects that help further the field of literacy locally, regionally and provincially
Clear Writing Services
- how-to workshops and information sessions
- document consultation and revision
- audits of existing documents